Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Sewing Lessons


This summer I decided I needed a project, and since I despise paying lots of money for clothing, I have decided to try and learn how to sew. As a result I am signed up for weekly sewing lessons. They aren't overly-structured, and each student brings in their own projects to work on, and the instructor, Mrs. Barbara Mar, helps everyone along. So far I have shortened an old Prom dress and made a large lined tote bag - complete with pockets! My next project is a tunic that I am making from a Butterick pattern. I'm making it out of this gorgeous dark aqua fabric and I hope it really turns out well. I will post a picture when I am finished, which I definitely could not do without the help of my mother! That's because I'm doing this project at home, and am working on a dress at my next sewing class.

I'm not yet a very skilled sewer, but I love to browse patterns on the internet. The best brands to look through are Butterick, McCall's, and Simplicity patterns. Eventually I hope that I can make something like this, as I think that it's absolutely adorable - I do love coats and outerwear!

No comments:

Post a Comment